12 Blogging Tips for the Beginning and Experienced Blogger by Bruce Sallan
I first “met” Bruce Sallan, Founder of #DadChat on June 19 via “The Truth About Media at #DadChat and #MediaChat – a Double-Header!“ Loved his talking points, our banter, what I learned also discovered some common interests. After the TwitterChat, I connected with Bruce on LinkedIn. Then sent a short message letting Bruce know I would be in LA the following week and would love to have him as my guest on my new Power up!® TV series (launching early August- subscribe here!) Within five days there we were doing a quick pre-production video chat with the gorgeous Pacific Ocean in the background.
Before the interview, during lunch, we talked blogging — how important it is, how it enables you to share your brand voice to establish your expertise and hone your writing skills. I shared that I talk with too many people who weren’t blogging because they thought it was too hard. Bruce mentioned a 12-list blogging tips column he wrote and since blogging can be quite challenging, especially in the beginning, we hope this helps you get your blog powered up!
Here are his 12 Blogging Tips for the Beginning and Experienced Blogger:
2. Do worry about spelling and proper grammar – it does make a difference!
3. Titles are VERY IMPORTANT – take your time and choose the right title.
4. Hook the reader in the first paragraph – in fact, be sure you have short paragraphs and paragraph correctly.
5. Do NOT use foul language or too much slang unless it’s about slang.
6. As much as possible add images to all your blogs.
7. Don’t be afraid of controversy but don’t court it either.
8. Have several blogs “in work” at any given time so you can work on the one that is currently “working” for you.
9. IF the flow of writing is not coming easily, put it aside. Revisit it later but if it’s still a struggle, dump it.
10. Write about what you know, what you believe, and what you’re passionate about.
11. Ask questions, especially at the end of your blog.
12. Don’t be afraid to not have all the answers – vulnerability as a writer makes you more accessible.
Thanks for your awesome blogging tips Bruce; I have a few to implement to become a better blogger!
It was a pleasure meeting and talking with you — can’t wait to share our video chat.
Need help branding yourself?
Thought so … it’s next to impossible to do by yourself! An experienced guide can help you avoid a BIG headache + save you tons of energy, time and money.
Click here if you would like to quickly learn and implement the WHAT, WHY & HOW to’s of building a strong core brand and business foundation in 5 steps and 42 pages!