There are many benefits to determining your brand position and niche clearly, and definitively. Here are the top 3 benefits that brand positioning can offer you:
- Cut through the noise and confusion in the marketplace.
- Establish real and meaningful connections with your target audience.
- Act as your filter to attract the clients who see value in the services you offer.
Think of branding as managing the thoughts and feelings of your customers to ensure that you are what they desire. If you don’t figure out your brand position in the beginning, you will be pulled in many different directions which will not enable you to become the specialist, and gain referrals. Not to mention that proper branding is critical to your long term success.
If you are not attracting your target audience, you’ve got to figure out where the gaps are. Start with using your values and distinctive qualities that can make a difference for others and ask yourself these 5 questions:
- What are your values?
- What do you want for yourself?
- What do you fear?
- What is getting in the way of you acting and feeling your best?
- How do you think you’re coming across to others?
The best, and my favorite example of brand positioning is from Wikipedia:
“In the classic example of Avis claiming “No.2, We Try Harder”, the point was to say something so shocking (it was by the standards of the day) that it cleared space in your brain and made you forget all about who was #1, and not to make some philosophical point about being “hungry” for business.”
Your brand position should serve the interests of your customers and tap into the true value that only you can provide. How can you shift your thinking and behaviors to serve your customers while feeling fulfilled and loving what you do?